Welcome!

This is a simple blog of our simple country life. No added sugar, color or preservatives. :) Take a moment and reflect.....

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wow

Well, what else can you say after a night like last night? Most people around here had at least 5 in. of rain. Some people reported up to 8.5 in. All I could say was Wow. What else can you say when you haul bucket after bucket of water out of your basement for a couple hours. Wow just seems to cover it. A friend of mine had 4 feet of water in her basement. WOW!
Several people in our little town had a long night last night. I went to town today and checked out some places. Wow. There's a lot of water around here. Everyone I talked to though was thankful. Thankful it wasn't worse than it was. It can always be worse. We didn't have a tornado. Still got to sleep in our own beds. No one lost their life.
As I was walking around my yard this afternoon I was feeling pretty good. Everything is muddy or covered with mud but it was still there.
This is what happened next. I looked at this:
Right smack in the middle of this picture is an asparagus shoot. Yes, it is. There's more.....
Look at them. Just look at them. Those are asparagus shoots. I can't believe it. I have to tell you what I did. I saw the asparagus shoots and I did the happy dance. I. did. the. Happy. Dance. Yes, it really happened. Waylon even whined and danced with me but I'm not telling anyone about that part.  So far 9 of the 14 plants have green shoots. WOW!
My integrity as a gardener has been reinstated. Yes. It really has. It was in considerable question. You know, asparagus roots flapping in the wind for almost 3 weeks. Then my mother-in-law so kindly telling me I needed to cover the roots. Covering the roots and then waking up in the middle of the night realizing the asparagus was actually planted upsidedown and then replanting them again. All that might have been reasonable doubt of gardening skill. I'm just telling you it was my technique. That's what it was alright.
I think I even said in a previous post that I was just going to let that asparagus sit for awhile and see what happens. They needed more rain to rejuvenate the roots. WOW. I can't believe I said that.
Actually, wow, I can't believe that happened!

The beans still look like this. That's okay. Cause that means they didn't float away either. I'm not sure it could look any rosier right now. I have asparagus shoots and Country Boy has beans. (He might be full of beans too but I'm not going to tell him that. ha) I really did think I was delirious earlier. I thought I was seeing things. Not enough sleep does that to a person. So I went out and looked at them again. They're still there.
They still look like asparagus shoots. Wow. I can't believe it. Wonder if they still look the same in the dark. I need to go out and check on them again..........
WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment